CO PolimatCenter of Excellence - Polymer Materials And Technologies
The PoliMaT research program integrates interdisciplinary research in several priority development areas: advanced (new) synthetic metallic and non-metallic materials and nanotechnologies, sustainable technologies, and health and life sciences.
The activities are based on the synergy and effective cooperation of:
- the leading Slovenian researchers and research groups,
- knowledge institutions,
- other successful companies in the field of development of polymer materials and related areas.
The common vision of all actors involved is the development of innovative and commercially successful products with emphasized sustainable character and the development of environmentally friendly products and technologies in provision of a low-carbon society of the future.
- 84 researchers, of which 42 are from enterprises and 42 from research institutions
- 43 PhD holders: 12 from enterprises and 31 from research institutions
The PoliMat Centre of Excellence commenced its operations on the basis of the success of polymer-related science and industry, which revealed its potential and capacities. However, the key elements for a long-term success turned out to be the increase of capacities in research and development areas and collaboration between economy and top-level science on a global scale.
what we do
We strive toward the following strategic goals:
- interconnection of scientific excellence, visions of our industrial partners and available capacities in the Republic of Slovenia,
- generating internationally comparable knowledge in the field of polymer and related sciences, and its transfer into applied practices
- scientific excellence, interdisciplinarity of research and development, facilitating conditions for technological breakthroughs for industrial partners
- producing highly trained staff at under and postgraduate levels in the area of polymer science and technology
- ensuring economic growth until 2013 for enterprises already reaching European and global levels and creating new high-tech companies. Raising competitiveness of Slovenian large, medium and small enterprises; creating new employment positions and high-tech and spin-off companies.
Strategic areas of research and development of the PoliMaT Centre of Excellence:
- technical products for advanced applications and energy,
- coatings and adhesives,
- renewable resources and
- polymers for health care and medicine.
The common feature of all sections is the development of polymer materials for advanced technologies by identifying molecular basis of their properties.
The sections are interconnected through horizontal activities: dissemination of knowledge, networking, technology transfer, economic analyses of the achievements, as well as promotion and demonstration activities.